Panic about the future of used wind turbines

Posted Category: News

Following the press release of the FED of February 5, 2019 announcing a complaint of the FED in constitution against the state, then our intervention with Bernadette Kaars administrator of the FED, before the commission of the national assembly, the FranceTVinfo issue of February 12, 2019, the rose pot has just been unveiled:

The dismantling and treatment of wind turbine waste is a major major problem that has been carefully hidden by proponents, ADEME and the Ministry of the Environment

Here is the article published at the moment by the new factory which shows the acuity of the problem of the waste of the wind turbines, the industrialists try to find solutions

It is indeed possible to completely treat these composite materials mechanically and chemically, to recycle or incinerate them. But to do it without polluting the planet is another matter and it is a question of money

Who will pay ????

One wonders why ADEME has been hiding this issue for years?

As a simple remark concerning the epoxies. These are plastics made from bisphenol whose reputation is increasingly questioned … and to incinerate hundreds of thousands of tons of plastics, cleanly and without producing dioxins, various toxic compounds see nano particles must particularly reliable installations, which probably means the construction of new incinerators on our territory.

JL Butré

_________________________________________________

THE NEW PLANT

And if we stopped burying wind turbine blades?

LAURENT ROUSSELLE RECYCLING –

PUBLISHED ON 20/02/2019 AT 5.00 PM

 

In France, the end of life of the first generation of wind turbines raises the question of their recycling. Solutions are emerging for composite blades, the least valued element.

Global demand for carbon fiber for wind power is estimated at 20,880 tonnes in 2018. © Siemens AG; D.R.

Eight hundred and forty tons of concrete, 300 tons of steel and 25 tons of composites is about what a 2 MW wind turbine represents. Only a few tens of these windmills have been dismantled in France since the installation of the first park in 1996. In five years, they will be 1500 to give way to more powerful models.

This number will inevitably increase given the acceleration of renewable energy investments foreseen by the multi-year energy programming (PPE). “From 2020, several hundred machines will have to be dismantled each year,” warns Didier Evano, president of Net-Wind, an SME specialized in wind maintenance located on the outskirts of Nantes, La Chevrolière (Loire-Atlantique). A dismantling that poses a new challenge, that of the recovery of wind turbine components.

A recent concern

A question that has been of little concern in France. “We’re just starting to get on the topic,” says Paul Duclos, the head of wind power at the Renewable Energy Union. For its part, the association France Wind Energy has created, in early January, a working group devoted to recycling. In this landscape, the D3R project, led by Net-Wind, is a pioneer. Its goal is to create a sector dedicated to the recycling and reuse of wind turbine components.

If a second-hand market is put in place, it is especially the future of materials that focuses attention. “Some 90% is recycled in the sectors,” says Sébastien Billeau, an engineer at the French Environment and Energy Management Agency (Ademe), referring to the total weight. He is talking about the mast and the foundations. The remaining 10%, the rotors, are more problematic.

Essentially designed from a blend of epoxy resin or polyester and fiberglass (60% to 70% wind turbines), the newest blades also incorporate carbon fiber, to stiffen longer and longer lengths. important. In forty years, the diameter of the rotors has increased from 17 to 160 meters with prospects at 250 meters for the offshore. In addition, each blade contains electronics, anti-foaming wire, balsa, adhesive … A heterogeneous mass that represents 5 to 10 tonnes and currently has limited prospects for recovery.

Rarely burned in a cement plant, often buried

In the absence of a downstream market, the blades finish at best, energy-enhanced, at worst landfilled. In the first case, they are shredded and possibly crushed before being introduced into a cement kiln in replacement of the fuel oil. Trash can be used in the formation of solid recovery fuels (SRF), but at a deterrent cost.

As a result, the pieces are buried in “the majority of cases”, says Delphine Garnier, the head of engineering

Panic about the future of used wind turbines original French Version

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.